Harvesting energy from various light sources: sun, bulbs, natural indoor light, etc.
Harvesting energy from various thermal sources: waste heat, human heat, motor, etc.
Harvesting energy from various vibration sources: motors, railroads, cattle, etc.
Harvesting energy from various RF sources: 868MHz, 915MHz, 2.4 GHz, etc.
AEM30940 – Energy Harvesting Power Management IC
E-peas’ thermal energy harvesting IC solution – AEM30940 – is an integrated energy management subsystem that extracts DC power from TEG to simultaneously store energy in a rechargeable element and supply the system with two independent regulated voltages. This allows product designers and engineers to extend battery lifetime and ultimately get rid of the primary energy storage element in a large range of wireless applications like industrial monitoring, home automation, wearables.
The AEM30940 harvests the available input current up to 125 mA. It integrates an ultra-low-power Boost converter to charge a storage element, such as a Li-Ion battery, a thin film battery or a super- or conventional capacitor. The Boost converter operates with input voltages in a range of 50 mV to 5.5V. With its unique cold-start circuit, it can start operating with empty storage elements at an input voltage as low as 380 mV and an input power of just 3 µW.
The low voltage supply typically drives a microcontroller at 1.8 V. The high voltage supply typically drives a radio transceiver at a configurable voltage. Both are driven by highly efficient LDO (Low Drop-Out) regulators for low noise and high stability.
Configuration pins determine various operating modes by setting predefined conditions for the energy storage element (overcharge or overdischarge), and by selecting the voltage of the high voltage supply. However, special modes can be obtained at the expense of a few configuration resistors.
The chip integrates all the active elements for powering a typical wireless sensor. With only seven external components, integration is maximum, footprint and BOM are minimum, optimizing the time-to-market and costs of WSN designs in all markets.
Five identical capacitors and two inductors are required, available respectively in the small 0402 and 0603 SMD formats.
- Cold start from 380 mV input voltage and 3 µW input power (typical)
Ultra-low-power Boost regulator
- Configurable MPPT with single-pin programming
Selectable MPP ratios of 50, 65, 80, 100%
- Open circuit voltage sensing for MPPT every 0.5 s
- Input voltage operation range from 50 mV to 5.5V
Integrated LDO regulator at low voltage
- 1.8 V, high efficiency
- Up to 10 mA load current
Power gated by external control
Integrated LDO regulator at high voltage
- Configurable from 2.2 V to 4.2 V
- Up to 80 mA load current with 300 mV drop-out
- Power gated by external control
Flexible energy storage management
- Programmable overcharge and overdischarge protection
- For any type of rechargeable battery or (super)capacitor
- Fast supercapacitor charging
- Warns load when battery is getting empty
- Warns when regulators are switched on
Smallest footprint, smallest BOM
- Only seven passive external components
Optional primary battery
- Automatically switches to the primary battery when
- secondary battery gets empty
Contact us to request an evaluation board